In This Section
AZA is committed to using as many environmentally responsible practices as possible and feasible for the 2013 AZA Annual Conference. The below measures are in place and AZA is committed to carrying out these practices and encouraging all participants and attendees of the conference to do the same.
Conference Promotional Materials
• AZA prints all promotional materials on Forest Stewardship Council certified, recycled, double-sided paper, printed with vegetable oil-based inks when available.
• In all promotional pre-conference materials, AZA strongly encourages attendees to register online, rather than mailing a hardcopy registration form.
Conference Registration Materials
• All registration confirmation materials and badge previews will be emailed to attendees. Emailing a badge preview prevents the printing of multiple, incorrect badges.
• Recycling receptacles for attendee registration badges will be located at the registration desk and at Zoo Day to collect unwanted badge holders for re-use at other AZA Meetings.
• AZA has partnered with Relan, a company focusing on the repurposing of vinyl banners into unique, one-of-a-kind, branded products, to produce this year's delegate bags. Thank you too all the AZA institutions who are donating their old vinyl banners to help in this project.
Conference Program Materials
• AZA will be printing a program guide and addendum on Forest Stewardship Council certified, recycled, double-sided paper, printed with vegetable oil-based inks. Attendees are encouraged to only take one copy and dispose of in the recycle bins located throughout the convention center. A digital version of the program guide will be made available from the AZA website and will be emailed to attendees during the conference.
• All directional and room signage is reused by AZA from one event to another, whenever possible.
• If applicable, AZA will encourage all speakers to provide their handouts or presentations to be posted on the AZA website after the conference for Member access.
• A mobile app and mobile website will be made available, which will eliminate the need for a printed program guide for some attendees. Attendees are given the option during the registration process to opt out of receiving a program guide.
• All conference exhibitors and participants are strongly encouraged to use sustainable products for any promotional giveaway items.
• Exhibitors will be offered the opportunity to identify how they are choosing to incorporate green practices into their presence at the conference. Participants will be recognized with signange and recognition in the program guide.
• AZA will encourage exhibitors to participate in Lead Retrieval. Attendees will have a bar code on their registration badges, allowing exhibitors to scan their badge to acquire contact information. This will cut down on the number of business cards being distributed.
• Box lunch in the Exhibit Hall will be offered in recyclable containers or a reusable lunch bag.
• All carpet, table clothes and signage in the Exhibit Hall will be recycled or reused as much as possible.
• Low lighting and air conditioning levels will be practiced during Exhibit Hall set up and tear down, and a schedule of conservative lighting use during non-event hours will be established.
• Attendees are provided or encouraged to bring reusable water bottles.